Homemade, All-Natural, Non-Toxic Hair Conditioner Recipe

We've been gradually replacing chemical-laden household and personal products with organic, non-toxic options for about the last 2 years. Some of the things that have been the most difficult for me to replace are hair products. I'm actually still looking for some organic, non-toxic options (leave suggestions in the comments!), but I have already found a hair conditioner recipe that works perfectly for me, so I thought I'd share it with you.



I started using this method to condition my hair a few months ago and my hair has already been so much healthier.

What you'll need:
- Organic apple cider vinegar (I use the raw, unfiltered version from Bragg)
- a pint-sized mason jar
- 2 cups water
- 3 drops of organic essential oil (I use the Cinnamon Leaf oil from Veriditas Botanicals)

Before you get in the shower, pour a splash (probably 3-4 TBSP) of the vinegar into the mason jar, add the drops of essential oil, and fill the rest of the jar up with water. After rinsing out your shampoo, pour the vinegar mix over your hair, starting at the base of the crown and working down to the ends before rinsing.

Note: You can choose any essential oil you want. I add it for the scent. I tried an orange essential oil prior to the cinnamon leaf, but found that the acidity of the orange smell only added to the acidic smell of the vinegar, and I didn't like smelling that on my hair all day. The cinnamon leaf oil cuts right through that acidic vinegar scent and I don't smell the vinegar at all throughout the day anymore! Just yummy, delicious cinnamon. =)

Deep Conditioning Tip

Once a week or so, use a pea-sized amount (I use a pea-sized amount and my hair is almost waist-length. It really only takes a tiny tiny bit.) of organic, unrefined coconut oil to deep condition your hair from the ends up to where you would start a ponytail. Distribute the coconut oil through your dry hair before showering and shampooing. Your shampoo and the vinegar rinse will take care of any oiliness that could result from the coconut oil, but the oil will still have a chance to add those beneficial nutrients to your hair. I love my hair on the days I do this. Honestly, I could probably do it every other day, but I normally forget to grab the oil on my way to the shower. ;)

Note: You might not want to try that oh-so-common Pinterest version of coconut oil hair conditioning that involves slathering it all over your entire head and leaving it for awhile. It will take forever and half a bottle of shampoo to wash it out. Less is more with the coconut oil. Trust me. ;)

Do you have a favorite hair product or natural hair care recipe? Leave it in the comments below! I'm still searching for other hair products/recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the cinnamon option when using acv. I love using it, however I didn't care for the smell. My hair is fuller and has more bounce.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment...