Watermelon Jolly Rancher Smoothie

When I tested this recipe for the first time yesterday and all of my taste testers said it reminded them of a Jolly Rancher, I knew I wouldn't be able to wait long to share it with you. It is so refreshing and cooling - perfect for summer. I can't wait to make popsicles and sorbet with this recipe!


Before I give you the recipe, I need to warn you...do not do what I did. See, when I first tested this recipe and let you all know on Facebook that I would be sharing it soon, it looked like this:


Yesterday morning, I prepped my watermelon so I could test this smoothie in the afternoon. I used a melon baller to scoop out all of the fruit, then stuck it all in a gallon-sized freezer bag and placed it in the freezer. A couple hours later, I went to check it to see if it was frozen yet. It wasn't. It was only about half frozen. I decided to go ahead and make the smoothie anyway, and the result was what you saw yesterday. Today, however, the watermelon was completely frozen (obviously...it's been in the freezer now for over 24 hours). Yeah...I learned today that blenders (even the fancy schmancy kind) do not like frozen watermelon. It took me about 15 minutes just to get all the fruit in this thing thawed enough to blend and I had to add way more liquid than I did yesterday. This is why the smoothie in today's picture is much more pink than red. So now you know...don't let your watermelon freeze all the way. Only half-way frozen watermelon for this one. ;)

Watermelon Jolly Rancher Smoothie
Servings: 2

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup organic coconut or almond milk
- 4 cups of organic, half-frozen watermelon
- 7-10 organic strawberries, sans leaves
- 1/2 organic banana
- organic peppermint leaves (optional)

Blend (wet ingredients in the blender first) and enjoy! =)

p.s. If you forget to take your watermelon out of the freezer before it completely freezes, you can still try to blend it...but you're going to end up with more of a sorbet (unless you add a bunch of extra liquid) and it's going to take a lot longer to prep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment...